Wow! Bubbles is an honest-to-goodness, true-blue, old-school, comics-(and-manga)-fanzine. Running 32 magazine-size pages – with a 16-page, digest-size insert – Bubbles is a materialization of its creator's (creators') enthusiasm, clearly (a) serious fan(s). Their self-effacing dedication is evident in the fact that they neglected to credit themselves anywhere in the publication (that we could find)!
Here's what's in store in the first, jam-packed issue:
- In depth look at late 80s/early 90s alternative manga publisher Blast Books
- Interview with Hiroo Yamagata (Translator of Hideshi Hino's Hell Baby)
- Brief interview with Laura Lindgren (Founder of Blast Books)
- Interview with James Hudnall (Translation assistant of Mai, The Psychic Girl)
- Music From Nancy*** a retrospective, interviews with all 3 creators, Jesse Poimboeuf, Steve Sweet, Steve Cunningham, w/ 16 page insert of a Program for Music From Nancy!
- Interview with Shades7000 (Creator of the Scanlation Group 'You're Welcome')
- Short essays on comic book artifacts found on Ebay
- Comics you should read (reviews of contemporary comics)
- Translation of The Road Home by Kuniko Tsurita (from Garo #213)
Behold! The second issue of the old school print comics fanzine, Bubbles has arrived – seemingly a mere blink of the eye after the first! Clearly, this is no flash in the pan. Here we have another 36 pages of comics & manga love (although not so much of the latter, this time around), featuring in-depth interviews with Sammy Harkham, M. Thomas Inge, and Katherine Gates, along with the second installment of "eBay Finds" and "Comics You Should Read" – and more!
According to Bubbles, #3 features:
Interview with Brian Blomerth where we talk about his new book 'Bicycle Day'
Interview with Ryan Holmberg where we talk manga and translation
Interview with Tetsunori Tawaraya where we talk scifi, risograph printing and process
Interview with Bob Lewis where we talk comic collecting and lots more
Essay by M. Thomas Inge
Weighing in at bonus-sized 44 pages, this issue is the most jam-packed yet! Interviews with Matt Furie, Josh Pettinger and Archer Prewitt miongle with original comics by Cam Del Rosario, Mike Olson, Greg Steele and others. There is a review of Simon Hanselmann's Bad Gateway exhibit at the Bellevue Arts Museum – the first we've seen – by Tyler Meese; a review of Yokoyama's Outdoors by Jef ALford; an article on Shigeru Suigura by James Bradshaw; as well as the standard features, "Comics You Should Read," and "Comics in my Mailbox" and "Letter to Bubbles." Still only $6!